Wednesday, July 16, 2014

#1,290: Baked Marinated Tofu Bites

Oh how I wanted to love this recipe.  I've been looking for other forms of protein that I can eat that I actually enjoy (besides turkey burgers) and it's been many, many years since I've eaten tofu, so I figured I'd give it a try again.  I still can't decide if I liked this recipe or not.  As I ate a piece, I decided I did NOT like it.  Then when that piece was gone/eaten, I went back for another.  Continuing the cycle of "I don't like this," "Eh, I want another piece," etc.  Weird.  I ended up giving the tofu away figuring that if I didn't love it, I might as not waste my time (or calories) eating it.
1 or more (16-ounce) containers extra-firm tofu

Marinade (optional):
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon water
Press the tofu: Remove the tofu from its packaging and pat dry with paper towels or a dish cloth. Line a plate with a paper towel and set the tofu on top. Set a small plate on top of the tofu and weigh it down with something heavy, like a 28-ounce can of tomatoes. Press for 15 to 30 minutes. You will see liquid collect around the tofu.
Cut the tofu into pieces: Remove the weight and drain off the excess liquid. Slice the pressed tofu into cubes, thin slices, or sticks, depending on how you plan to use the tofu.
To give the tofu extra flavor, marinate the tofu pieces for at least 30 minutes or as long as overnight. Whisk together the marinade ingredients. Transfer the marinade and the tofu to a shallow container. Gently toss the cubes until coated with the marinate. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. If marinating longer, toss the tofu occasionally to marinate evenly.
When ready to bake the tofu, heat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat.  Arrange the tofu on the baking sheet in a single layer. The tofu can be close, but try to avoid pieces touching each other. The tofu will shrink as it bakes. Bake until the outside of the tofu is golden and the pieces look slightly puffed, 20 to 45 minutes depending on the size and shape of your tofu. Toss the tofu every 10 minutes so the pieces bake evenly. The longer you bake the tofu, the chewier it will be.

If serving immediately, serve while still warm. If saving the tofu for later, let it cool on the baking sheet, then transfer to a refrigerator container. The tofu will keep refrigerated for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment