Sunday, September 30, 2012

#686: Squash and Lentil Stew


I love squash and I love lentils, so when I found this recipe in a recent Family Circe Magazine, I was more than eager to try it.  Since no one in my family will eat this with me, I figured it would be the perfect meal to try out on my co-workers for my weekly lunch day. 

This is a very easy recipe.  The hardest part is peeling the squash (but I just put it in the microwave for 2 minutes first and then it was easier to peel). 

I am really enjoying eating this, but I love lentils.  Personally, I think this would be even better on top of some small noodles, but that's probably mainly because that's how MY family eats lentils normally.  I hope my co-workers enjoy it as much as I do/did!


3 tablespoons olive oil
3 carrots, peeled and diced (I used about 7)
2 ribs celery, trimmed and diced (I omitted)
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium butternut squash (about 2 3/4 lbs), peeled, seeded and diced (5 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 14 1/2 ounce can light and fat-free chicken broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
1 1/2 cups small brown or French green lentils, picked through
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cilantro leaves, chopped

Heat oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onion and cook 5 minutes. Add squash and season with chili powder and ground cumin. Cook 1 minute.

Stir in broth, tomatoes, 1/2 cup water and lentils. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and stir in salt. Simmer, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment