Monday, September 10, 2012

#666: Veggie Quinoa Salad


I made this recipe to take to the teachers for lunches this week.  I hope they enjoy this as much as I am/do.  I LOVED this.  The reviews of this recipe said it tastes better as it sits so I made it a night ago and then just started throwing in the last few ingredients today. In my opinion, this is fantastic.  I wish there would have been leftovers so I could even eat them for breakfast tomorrow.  Definitely, definitely, definitely making this again!

1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (15.25 oz) whole kernel sweet corn, drained (I used frozen corn) 
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained (I used quartered cherry tomatoes)
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup quartered pitted kalamata olives (I omitted) 
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
I also used 1/3 cucumber chopped (with seeds removed)

Rinse quinoa under cold water 1 minute; drain. Cook quinoa as directed on package; drain. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, in small nonmetal bowl, place lemon juice, oil and basil; mix well. Set aside for dressing.

In large bowl, gently toss cooked quinoa, beans, corn, tomatoes, bell pepper and olives. Pour dressing over quinoa mixture; toss gently to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate 1 to 2 hours before serving.  Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with basil leaves if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment