Saturday, September 29, 2012

#677: Vietnamese Pickled Vegetables

I KNOW I took a picture of these...but cannot find it on my camera.  Guess that means I have to make it again.  In the meantime, check out the original website to see a photo of it!
 
Let me just say, I LOVED these pickled veggies.  My husband however thinks it is the most foul smelling stuff and is refusing to let me make it again...ever.  :(  He didn't notice the "smell" until I brought the jars of pickling juice home and put them in the sink.  He was practically gagging while doing the dishes.  Several hours later I called him at a volleyball game and told him our house smelled and I was concerned (I thought it was a gas leak)...turned out to still be remnants of the pickling juice.  :)  I think it was the daikon!  That sure is an acquired taste and scent. 

The hardest part of this recipe is julienning the veggies.  A mandolin slicer would probably help but I hate using one after my mandolin mishap!

1/4 lb. cucumber, julienned
1 lb. daikon, peeled and julienned
1 lb. carrots, peeled and julienned
2 tbps kosher or sea salt
1 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 cup water


Make sure the vegetables are fairly dry (pat them dry) so they don’t dilute the pickling liquid with excess water. Combine the vinegar, salt, sugar, and water together until the sugar dissolves. Place the vegetables in a jar large enough to fit them all and pour the pickling liquid into the jar so that all of the vegetables are submerged. Store them sealed in the jar in the refrigerator for 5 days for best flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment