Sunday, September 23, 2012

#669: Southwestern Black Bean Salad


I originally planned on making another black bean-mango salad to serve to the teachers at lunch but my mangoes were really under-ripe and super light yellow.  So I had to scrap that idea and improvise.  I decided to make this black bean salad instead and added a little quinoa to bulk it up and make it more of a lunch instead of a side dish.  (PS...I love quinoa now and looking for lot of different ways to eat it).  Sorry teachers, you might be getting quinoa weekly for a little while. 

Personally I really loved this.  I thought it was good as a lunch/salad type meal, would be good as a snack, or as an appetizer with tortilla chips.  I loved the addition of the quinoa.

1 15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained (I used 2 cans)
9 oz frozen corn, thawed
1 tomato, chopped (I used a pint of cherry tomatoes quartered)
1 small Haas avocado, diced (I omitted)
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 scallion, chopped (I omitted)
1 lime, juice of
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp cilantro (I used about 1 bunch of cilantro!)
salt and fresh pepper
1 yellow pepper diced
1/2 small can of mild diced green chile's

3/4 c cooked quinoa

Directions:
Combine beans, corn, tomato, onion, scallion, cilantro, pepper, green chile's, quinoa, salt and pepper.  Mix with lime juice and olive oil. Marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes.  Add avocado before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment