Thursday, December 23, 2010

#131: Phyllo Dough Baklava Concontion


This is actually an original recipe created by me!  I had some leftover phyllo dough from the sausage roll-ups I made for dinner and I didn't want to throw them out so I decided to make my own version of Baklava with whatever ingredients I had on hand.

I did not pour any syrup over the top when it came out of the oven, like a regular baklava recipe calls for, so the top layers just pulled/flaked off and I ended up tossing most of the top layers.  The bottom layers were pretty yummy though.  Next time I make this, I'll definitely make the syrup to go over it.  I'll post  the syrup recipe below in case you are interested. 


20 sheets of phyllo dough
3/4 c chopped pecans
1/3 c flaked coconut
3 tbsp brown sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp melted butter
non-stick cooking spray
Combine the pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and melted butter.  Set aside.  In an 8x8 pan, spray bottom with non-stick cooking spray.  Layer about 10 sheets of phyllo dough that has been cut in half (vertically) so that it fits nicely inside the pan.  As you lay the sheets down, spray each one with cooking spray so all of the sheets stick together.  Next, pour the pecan mixture on top of the phyllo dough and spread out.  Continue layering the remaining phyllo dough on top of the pecan mixture, and spray each sheet with non-stick spray just as you did the bottom layers. 

Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  Pour syrup (recipe below) over the top and let cool.  Cut into squares and serve.


Syrup:
In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 c honey, 1 cup water, and 1 tbsp lemon juice; bring to a boil. Boil baklava syrup for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until syrupy. Cool and pour over baklava.

No comments:

Post a Comment