Sunday, December 19, 2010

#121: Creamy Raspberry Dessert


I remembered to take a picture after we were eating this...obviously!

I was looking for a slightly different version of strawberry pretzel jello to take to my in-laws house for Christmas.  I found this recipe on Taste of Home and decided to give it a try. 

I knew by looking at the finished product that my in-laws would not eat this by presentation alone, so I added some cool whip and pink colored sugar on top to hide the appearance of the origional top layer.  Fortunately this went over well and was enjoyed by some/most!

Ingredients (I made 1 1/2 times the amount for the crust)


1 cup graham cracker crumbs (I used 1 1/2 c)
3 tablespoons sugar  (I used 4 1/2 tbsp)
1/4 cup butter, melted (I used 1/4 c + 1/8 c)

Filling
1 package (10 ounces) frozen raspberries, thawed (I used 16 oz)
1/4 cup cold water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped (next time I will try 8 or 12 oz cool whip)
Fresh raspberries and mint (I didn't do this step--I topped with light cool whip and pink colored sugar)

Directions
In a bowl, combine the crumbs, 3 tablespoons sugar and butter. Press onto the bottom of an 8-in. or 9-in. springform pan. (I made this in a 9x13 in glass pan) Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool.

Meanwhile, for filling, drain raspberries, reserving the juice. (I got very little juice out of this until I mashed it in the strainer).  Set berries aside. In a small saucepan, combine the juice, cold water and gelatin. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool for 10 minutes.

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until blended. Add berries and gelatin mixture; beat on low until thoroughly blended. Chill until partially set. Watch carefully, as mixture will set up quickly.

Gently fold in whipped cream. Spoon into the crust. Chill for 6 hours or overnight.

Just before serving, run knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Top with fresh raspberries and mint (or cool whip and colored sugar!). Yield: 10 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment