Sunday, December 5, 2010

#103: Slow cooked meat loaf

Sorry for the blurry photo!

This recipe came from my TOH Slow Cooker Favorites cookbook.  Brian and Allison LOVED this.  Brian even gave this one 5 stars.  : )  I however, thought it was just okay.  I have to put a slight disclaimer on this though...I'm not a huge meatloaf fan.  So try it and judge for yourself.  This was SUPER moist and broke into small pieces really easily.  You definitely did not need a knife to cut this one (well you did to cut it into appropriate serving sizes.  The carrots were good and soft, but the potatoes lacked seasoning!  Honestly, next time I would probably just cook w/carrots and serve with a side of mashed potatoes instead. 

Ingredients

1 egg
1/4 cup milk
2 slices day-old bread, cubed (I used 3)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I sauteed first)
2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper (I diced mine VERY fine and Brian didn't even notice!)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean) (I used ground turkey)
1/4 cup ketchup (I misread this and used more like 1 1/4 cups...I think it needed it though!)
8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks (I used baby carrots)
8 small red potatoes (I used 5 large red poatoes cut into quarters)

Directions

In a bowl, beat egg and milk. Stir in the bread cubes, onion, green pepper, salt and pepper. Add the beef and mix well. Shape into a round loaf. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Spread ketchup on top of loaf. Arrange carrots around loaf. Peel a strip around the center of each potato; place potatoes over carrots. (I cut my potatoes into quarters...I was not taking the time to peel a strip!)

Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 7-8 hours longer or until no pink remains in the meat and the vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment