Wednesday, December 22, 2010

#122: Chicken Empanadas

This recipe is basically the one I used as a starting off point to make these empanadas (just a few differences in the recipe I looked at).  However, I knew there were many ingredients in it that my family would not eat or enjoy.  So I changed it, and came up with my own recipe!

Here is my version (which the others thought was okay, but I loved and even ate it cold the next day for lunch.  That's how I know if I LOVE a recipe...if I don't need to heat it up to enjoy.)  : )

1 lb ground chicken
1 c Mexican Blend shredded cheese
1 tbsp garlic
1/4 onion chopped
1/2 c picante sauce
2 tbsp taco seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
2C + 4 tbsp reduced fat Bisquick Baking Mix
2/3 c skim milk
Flour (for rolling out the dough)
Cook ground chicken and onion over medium heat, until chicken is browned and crumbly. 
Stir in the garlic, picante sauce, taco seasoning, salt, pepper, and shredded cheese.  Mix well to combine.  Set aside.

In a small bowl, mix together baking mix and milk, until a soft dough forms.  Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface.  (I'm pretty sure I used quite a bit of flour so it wouldn't stick!)
Knead the dough 10 times (I did this until it was thoroughly mixed, soft, and my hands got tired).  Cut into 12 pieces (or however many you want!)  Roll each piece into a 4 inch circle (eyeball it!)

Spoon about 3 tbsp of the meat mixture onto one-half of each circle.  Fold the dough over into a half-moon shape.  Press the edges of the dough with the tines of a fork to seal. 

Place the empanada on a very lightly greased baking sheet... (THIS IS WHERE I STOPPED AND FROZE MINE.)  ...and spray with pam cooking spray (you can also brush them with an egg wash, but I was too lazy to do that!)
Bake at 400 degrees.  If baking fresh/thawed, bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.  If frozen, bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
Serve warm (or eat straight from the fridge in my case)

No comments:

Post a Comment