Thursday, December 23, 2010

#128: Applesauce Cookies


Santa is coming early to our house and I forgot to save any cookies that I made to leave for him tonight.  So I had to quickly whip up something else, so I decided to make these cookies with Allison.  I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand, so I altered them to what we DID have.  I figured we were only giving them to Santa so he wouldn't care!  These turned out puffy and dense, and smell like a cool fall day.  They are soft and chewy and more cake like than I expected.  They would be a perfect breakfast cookie!

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening (I used softened margarine instead)
2 eggs
1 cup applesauce (I used cinnamon applesauce since that's all we had)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves (I used ground nutmeg since we were out of cloves)
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour (I used whole wheat flour)
chocolate chips, nuts, raisins (I used chopped pecans...choc. chips would be really good though!)


Mix the first 5 ingredients together. Then add in the rest of the dry ingredients to it, combining well. Now add your chocolate chips, nuts, or raisins. Scoop onto a baking sheet. The dough will be very soft. It gets plopped on the baking sheet, but will cook up nicely. Bake for 8-11 minutes at 400* or until lightly brown. Makes 3 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment