Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Sausage Roll-ups

This may truly be one of the ugliest photos I ever took.  BUT this was one of my very first recipes I made/reviewed/posted on a different blog and we hardly ever eat these anymore, but whenever I make them, my family devours them!  They look like cigarettes, which is not appealing as I look at this photo, but the kids (and hubby) love these and I like that it requires only 3 ingredients:


1/2 small onion diced (sometimes I just used the dried minced onion flakes)
1 lb bulk pork sausage
1 package of phyllo dough sheets 

Take the phyllo dough out of the freezer the night before you need it and put it in the fridge to thaw. 

In a pan, brown the sausage and onion. Break up the sausage into small, crumbled pieces as it cooks. Drain off the excess fat when done. (I always do this the night before so it's ready to go when I get home!)

Take 3-4 sheets of phyllo dough and cut it in half width-wise. Put about 3 tbsp or so of the mixture onto each roll and roll up around the sausage mix. (I really don't measure this.  I just eye ball it).  Put on a lightly greased baking sheet...or save yourself the clean up time and put it on some parchment paper! Spray the tops of the roll-ups with buttered (or whatever you have!) cooking spray. 

Continue rolling up sausage in sheets of phyllo dough until you have used up all of your filling.  I can usually get about 6-8 roll-ups depending on how much sausage filling I put in each one.  
Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 12 minutes or until golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment