Saturday, August 30, 2014

#1,323: Crockpot Green Beans


I'm totally in a green bean recipe mood (as you can tell by the number I'm posting recently), so I was eager to try this recipe when allows me to make fresh green beans in the crockpot.  I had very low expectations for this recipe expecting them to come out mushy and over done.  These remind me a lot of canned green beans, except better.  They are slightly more firm and don't have all of the preservatives or sodium.  I didn't like the bacon in this at all, so I picked it out, but it did give it some nice flavor so I will continue to add them again next time...along with some garlic.

I WOULD make this again for my family for dinner...ok, for me as a side dish.  The girls, who like canned green beans didn't love these but it is a great way to have veggies ready for me when I get home from work.  



2 lbs. fresh green beans
6 strips of bacon
1 medium yellow onion, rough chopped
1 tablespoon kosher salt or salt to taste

Clean the green beans by snapping off the ends and then snapping longer ones in half.
Cut the bacon strips in half, and rough chop the yellow onions.
Add the green beans, bacon, yellow onion and salt to the slow cooker.
Add enough water to just cover the green beans.

Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment