Sunday, August 31, 2014

#1,329: Spaghetti Squash Pizza Pie

I really liked this recipe, but I think I slightly ruined it by putting in some fresh garden tomatoes.  This recipe was SO watery/mushy, and I found myself desperately seeking the slight firmness of the zucchini noodles.  Next time I'm going to omit the tomatoes or get all of the seeds out of it.  I also don't think this recipe needs the egg(s), so I will omit those as well.  Otherwise, it was a really good dinner.  I would definitely make this again! 

1 spaghetti squash, cut in half and remove the cooked strands
1 ½ lbs. chicken breast (I omitted but next time will add some chopped cooked turkey meatballs)
3 tbsp. ghee (I omitted)
¾ yellow onion, diced (I omitted)
2 zucchini, turned into noodles with spiralizer (or use a box grater)
1 ½ cup pizza sauce 
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning 
5 eggs, whisked (I used 1 egg)
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake spaghetti squash face down on baking sheet for 30 minutes and remove the threads once cooled. Lower heat to 350 degrees. Place threads in a large baking dish. 

I skipped this step to avoid the meat/chicken filling:
Heat large pan over medium heat with the ghee and cook the chicken until no longer pink (about 5 minutes on each side). Pull apart the chicken and add the onions. Cook until onions are slightly browned. 

In a small bowl, combine your pizza sauce, seasonings, and salt and pepper, mixing well. Add this mixture and the zucchini noodles and to the spaghetti squash threads.  Add the whisked eggs and mix well.  Place in a lightly greased baking dish.  Bake in oven for about 50 minutes or until the top forms a slightly browned crust that is no longer runny. Let cool and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment