Sunday, August 24, 2014

#1,314: Cake Mix Banana Bread

Do not judge this recipe by the extreme over-doneness of this cake/bread.  I'm going to blame my mom for this one!  I was talking to her on the phone and completely forgot that this was in the oven.  I wasn't sure my kids would eat it because it is obviously over-done, but they loved this cake.  Unfortunately as you can see from the photo, the chocolate chips (minis) all sank to the bottom.  That's okay though because the kids were not complaining!  

I tried the tiniest piece of this cake so that I could review it and I thought it was very, very good.  I love banana bread though AND I'm not eating carbs so I'm sure I loved it just because it was a cake/bread/carb.  :)  

I had to cut the kids off after their second piece and promise them they could eat more for breakfast tomorrow.  This recipe makes 2 of these loaves, so we are sharing one with Matthew's daycare friends tomorrow.  





1 box Betty Crocker™ cake mix (I used a yellow cake mix)
1/3 cup oil (I used vanilla flavored Greek yogurt instead)
3 eggs
1 ½ cups mashed bananas (3 to 4 medium)

½ c mini chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350°F. Generously spray 2 (8x4-inch) loaf pans with cooking spray. .
In a large bowl, beat all ingredients until well mixed. Divide batter evenly between pans.

Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of loaves comes out clean and inside of cracks do not look wet. 

Cool 15 minutes in pans on cooling racks. Remove loaves from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 2 hours, to prevent crumbling when slicing. For easier slicing, store loaves tightly covered 24 hours. Cut with serrated knife, using a light sawing motion.


2 comments:

  1. If you toss your chocolate chips in a little bit of flour (or dry cake mix, in this case) before adding them to your wet ingredients, they shouldn't sink to the bottom. Hope that helps you the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip!! I'll definitely try that next time!

    ReplyDelete