Sunday, August 24, 2014

#1,316: Beer Can Chicken


Although my kids really enjoyed this dinner, this was not my favorite meal and I personally ate very little.  If you like the skins off chicken though, this just might be the recipe for you!  I am not a fan of the skins and had to get it away from my plate because I kept sneaking pieces of it (it was so good).  Last week I made a chicken in the crockpot and personally, I think that is easier to make, easier to get the meat off the bones, and more flavorful.  Plus, my chicken fell over at one point and started to scorch.  It is much easier to throw it all in a crockpot and let it do it's thing for an entire day.  This recipe/version is definitely faster though.  :) 

Would I eat this again?  Yes.  Would I make this again for my family?  Probably not.  Although we have a lot of shredded chicken leftover now for another meal, so at least we got 2 dinners out of one bird/meal/recipe. 

1/3 c brown sugar
3 tbsp chili powder

1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Can of beer or root beer with about 4 oz in the can
1 whole chicken  (about 3 lbs)


Clean chicken (rinse with water and pat dry).  In a small bowl combine all of the seasonings.  Place about 1 tbsp of seasoning inside the chicken cavity.  Rub the rest of the seasoning on the outside.  Place the can of beer with 4 oz of the liquid inside the chicken so the chicken can stand up on its own.  Place on a preheated grill, which should be around 400 degrees.  Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees.  Remove from grill and let sit for 10 minutes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment