Sunday, August 10, 2014

#1,307: Peruvian Grilled Chicken

Typically I like chicken marinade recipes that I can just mix in a bowl and then pour over the chicken.  This one requires heating up the mixture to bring out the flavor and I had a very hard time pouring a hot marinade over the raw chicken breasts and then letting it sit for 8+ hours in the fridge.  So I did not heat this up and just mixed it all together and poured over the chicken instead.  Although this was very good, I think it lost some of the flavor/heat by not heating it up first.  If I make this again, I will heat up the marinade, but then let cool to room temperature before pouring over the raw chicken.  

Overall, my family really enjoyed this recipe though and the photo above was all that was left by the time I got back from the gym and sat down to eat dinner.  :)  That's always a good sign.


juice of 2 medium limes
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (I used honey)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 large cloves garlic, crushed
1½ Tablespoon organic virgin coconut oil
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder (I omitted)
1 teaspoon mexican chili powder
4 pounds chicken parts, on the bone (I used 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)

In a large bowl, combine lime juice, apple cider vinegar, salt and maple syrup. In a small saucepan, combine garlic, coconut oil (doesn't need to be liquid), smoked paprika, cumin, ancho chili powder and mexican chili powder. Heat over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly until fragrant and well combined. Combine garlic mixture with lime juice mixture and whisk until well mixed.

Use a fork to puncture fork holes into chicken pieces and place chicken in a ziploc bag. Pour marinade over. Seal and massage marinade around until well covered. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours.



Remove chicken from fridge about 30 minutes prior to grilling. Set grill to medium heat. Cook for 32 to 34 minutes (if using bone-in chicken!), turning at least once or until internal temperature of 165F.

No comments:

Post a Comment