Thursday, July 26, 2012

#635: Slow Cooker Layered Enchilada


Since it's so hot here right now I wanted to find a recipe for dinner that we could make in the crock pot.  So I decided to make this one.  I made the ground meat the night before and mixed it with the soup, then refrigerated.  Then today when I wanted to make it, I just layered everything together in the crock pot and turned it on.  So simple. 

This was really, really good.  It made enough for our family to eat it two nights.  The girls really enjoyed it too.  The shells got a little soggy, but we had no problem adding some sour cream and crushed tortilla chips to give it texture. 


1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef (I used ground chicken)
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup  (I used cream of celery)
1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso® chopped green chiles (I omitted)
1 can (10 oz) Old El Paso® enchilada sauce
10 corn tortillas (6 inch)
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (12 oz)
Paprika (I omitted)
Chopped fresh cilantro (I forgot to add to mine!)

In 10-inch skillet, cook ground beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in soup and chiles.

Spray 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread about 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce in bottom of slow cooker. Place 4 corn tortillas over sauce, overlapping and breaking in half as necessary to make an even layer. Top with 1/3 of beef mixture, spreading evenly. Drizzle with about 1/4 cup enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese.
Repeat layering twice, using 3 corn tortillas and half of remaining beef mixture, enchilada sauce and cheese in each layer. Sprinkle paprika over top.
Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 hours 30 minutes to 5 hours 30 minutes.
(THIS DOES NOT NEED TO COOK FOR 5 HOURS! The tortillas will turn to mush!  I cooked mine for 3 1/2 hours and that was plenty of time!  Next time I might even check it at 2 1/2 or 3 hours).
Let stand about 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle individual servings with cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment