Saturday, July 7, 2012

#597: Viva Panzanella

This recipe has been bookmarked for way too long.  It was a recipe that I wanted to make for myself for lunch but couldn't really justify getting all the ingredients just for myself to eat.  So this week, with all of my family together, it was the perfect place to try this recipe out.  I am so sad I waited so long to make this, it was fantastic.  The bread was my favorite part though.  :)  I will absolutely make this again, except only make it right before serving because the bread will get soggy as it soaks up all the dressing. 

The recipe claims to serve 6, I think it's more like 10!


3/4 pound sourdough bread, cubed (about 8 cups)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2-1/2 pounds tomatoes (about 8 medium), chopped
1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
1 cup thinly sliced roasted sweet red peppers
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/4 cup Greek olives, quartered
3 tablespoons capers, drained (I omitted)

Dressing:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh marjoram or 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 garlic clove, minced

In a large bowl, toss bread with oil and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool to room temperature.


In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, beans, artichokes, peppers, basil, onion, olives, capers and bread.


In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment