Saturday, July 7, 2012

#604: Red, White and Blueberry Coleslaw


I love a good coleslaw.  Not the kind that is soaked with mayo, but the ones made with some form of oil and/or vinegar.  My favorite is Ramen noodle coleslaw.  The only problem with that coleslaw though is that it gets mushy hours after making it.  I made this for our 4th of July weekend and it was a huge hit with the family.  I didn't think it would taste good the next day (I figured it would get mushy again) but I was very happily surprised that it stayed crisp.  It was just as good the second day!  I will absolutely be making this recipe again, and again and again.

1 small or 1/2 large head green cabbage, cut into 1/4-inch wide strips (about 6 cups)
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
6 strips bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup dried blueberries (I used dried cranberries)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Toss the cabbage, onion, bacon, blueberries, mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar in a large bowl and toss to coat with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 4 hours.

Stir in the pecans and season with salt and pepper just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment