Wednesday, July 25, 2012

#631: Veggie Lo Mein


So the original recipe is for Shrimp Lo Mein, but there was no way I was going to get the girls (or myself for that matter) to eat this.  So I omitted the shrimp and tried passing this off as "spaghetti."  Yeah, they didn't fall for it with the addition of all the veggies.  Overall the girls liked the noodles but not the veggies (and these are all veggies they eat...albeit with ranch dressing, but they eat it). 

I however, added some sesame seeds to mine and loved it.  I would definitely make this again and take to school for lunch.  Delicious!


12 ounces dried lo mein noodles (I used vermicelli since that's what we had)
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
1/2 pound medium shrimp in shells, peeled and de-veined  (I omitted)
5 cups shredded napa cabbage (I used A LOT less than that)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen shelled edamame
1 red sweet pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips
1/2 of a medium yellow onion, thinly sliced (I omitted)
1/2 cup oyster sauce  (I omitted)
4 green onions, thinly sliced

Cook lo mein noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Return to pan; toss with sesame oil and set aside.

In a wok or large skillet heat peanut oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp. Cook and stir until shrimp just turn opaque. Remove from wok or skillet to a bowl.

Add the cabbage, edamame, sweet pepper, and onion to wok or skillet. Cook and stir about 3 minutes or until tender. Add shrimp and oyster sauce to vegetable mixture; heat through. Add shrimp mixture to noodles and toss to coat. Heat through. Garnish each serving with green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment