Saturday, July 7, 2012

#606: Summer Succotash


You have to like lima beans to like this recipe. Fortunately I love lima beans.  This is probably the 3rd or 4th succotash recipe I've tried over the years and I think I'm learning that I do not love succotash.  You think I would too because it has so many great vegetables in it.  I don't know if I don't enjoy it as much because it's hot or because of the flavors.  Regardless, this is a yummy side dish, but you have to like the veggies and you have to like it warm.  :)

4 corn cobs, kernels removed (I used frozen corn)

3 large sweet peppers (any combination of red, orange and yellow), diced into 1-inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup vegetable broth (I used chicken broth)
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1/4 teaspoon pepper

These are the original directions: Combine corn kernels, sweet peppers, garlic, vegetable broth and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in the base of a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. Stir in thawed lima beans and cook 1 more hour.  Stir in butter until melted. Mix in basil, scallions, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.

These are my directions: Combine the frozen corn kernels, lima beans, sweet peppers, garlic, vegetable broth and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in the base of a slow cooker.  Cover and cook on high for 2 hours.  Stir in butter, basil, scallions, pepper and remaining salt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment