Tuesday, July 24, 2012

#629: Panko Crusted Avocado


This recipe has been posted on my Pinterest board for quite a while now.  I rarely have leftover avocados when I use them so I kept putting this recipe off.  Well today I had quite a bit of an avocado left, and since I can never stop them from turning brown in the fridge I decided to make these quickly to use it up. 
These were definitely easy to make.  And make sure you use panko breadcrumbs with these because it gives it a nice crispy texture.  You have to absolutely love plain avocados if you plan to make this recipe.  I like avocados but I don't love, love, love them, so these were not my favorite panko-crusted food (I'd rather have eggplant).  They were good, and I'm glad I tried them but I won't be making these again for myself.

Canola oil for frying

1/4 cup flour
About 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
2 large eggs, beaten to blend
1 1/4 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
2 firm-ripe medium avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced into 1/2-in. wedges

Preheat oven to 200°. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/2 in of oil.

Meanwhile, mix flour with 1/4 tsp. salt in a shallow plate. Put eggs and panko in separate shallow plates. Dip avocado in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, then panko to coat. Set on 2 plates in a single layer.

Fry a quarter of avocado slices at a time until deep golden, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer slices to a plate lined with paper towels. Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining avocados. Sprinkle with salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment