Wednesday, November 30, 2011

#439: Crock Pot Steel Cut Oats



After making Irish Oatmeal Brulee last weekend, I am really into eating oatmeal.  I am particularly interested in finding steel cut oat recipes to use so I can have breakfast at school in the morning.  I was looking for a recipe I could throw in my crockpot overnight and came across this recipe.  It was a snap to throw together and I LIKED this recipe, but I didn't love it.  It was a little too soft/mushy for my liking.  BUT the walnuts and craisins definitely helped give it some texture.  I would make this again though!

1 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup raisins
3 cups hot water (not boiling)
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
chopped walnut pieces

This is important:  Place a crockpot liner in your crockpot!!  (Otherwise you will be scrubbing your crockpot in the morning.

Add all ingredients to crockpot (I added the raisins, craisins and walnuts in the morning so they weren't too soft).  Turn to low setting. Cook for 8-9 hours.  Top with desired toppings: cranberries, craisins, raisins, walnuts or pecan pieces, blueberries, more brown sugar, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment