Wednesday, November 30, 2011

#437: Mozzarella Garlic Biscuits


Photo taken before dipping in melted butter (that is a MUST)

This is a slight deviation from the original recipe I found on a blog called "Stick a fork in it" that made Cheddar and Herb Biscuits.  Well, I was making this to go with our Slow Cooker Lasagna, so I figured I substitute the cheddar cheese and use an Italian Blend (of cheese) instead. 

This was really, really easy to make.  In fact, I threw it together in about 10 minutes after coming home from church one night.  We all thought these were good, and Brian even took the leftovers for lunch with him for a few days this week too.  (I halved the recipe and got about 14 biscuits out of it.  The recipe below is the FULL recipe).

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening
3 tablespoons butter, cold

1 cup buttermilk (I didn't have time to make this, so I used skim)1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (I used Italian Blend)
Buttery Topping:
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
(I omitted)3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, garlic powder and salt.  Cut in shortening and butter until coarse crumbs are formed.  Lightly mix in grated cheese.  Mix in buttermilk just until moist (dry spots here and there are ok - the biscuits will be tough if they are overmixed).

Drop the biscuits onto a greased or lined baking sheet.  Bake for 12-14 minutes, until browned and golden.  While the biscuits are baking, in a small bowl combine butter, parsley, garlic powder and salt. Right when the biscuits come out of the oven, brush the butter/herb mixture over the biscuits evenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment