Wednesday, November 23, 2011

#421: Chicken Carnita Tacos


I do not enjoy pork.  I'll eat it (sometimes) but try to avoid it.  My poor girls will probably never know a what a pork chop is.  Anyhow, I came across this recipe which is for PORK Carnita Tacos and almost made it as is...but then I remembered I had a lot of chicken in the freezer so I figured I'd substitute the chicken for the pork! 

2 to 2 ½ lbs pork shoulder or Boston butt roast (I used frozen chicken breast tenders instead)

3 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 onion, cut into 6 or 8 chunks
3 garlic cloves, whole
1 recipe tomatillo salsa (I substituted picante sauce since I was the only one who would eat it like that)
1 package corn tortillas
2 avocados, sliced
Fresh cilantro (sadly, I omitted)
I also added shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream

Mix together oregano, pepper, salt, and cumin and rub on outside of pork pieces in bottom of slow cooker.  Throw onion and garlic on top of pork.Slow cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or until meat is falling apart.  (I put my onion on the bottom, added a few cubes of frozen chicken stock, then put the frozen chicken tenders on top.  Then I rubbed the garlic and spices on the chicken and cooked on low for about 9 hours).

When finished discard the onion and garlic (I left both in). Drain meat and shred with a fork.  Serve warm with tortillas, tomatillo salsa, avocados and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment