Wednesday, November 16, 2011

#408: Unstuffed Shells


Brian is NOT a fan of the new Philly Cooking Cremes.  Personally, I can only take it in smaller doses as well.  If a recipe calls for the whole container, I'll usually just add about 1/3 of the container and we feel it's definitely enough flavor for our family.  So when this recipe called for the cooking creme again, I wasn't sure he was going to eat this.  BUT, I was happily surprised that this made a huge 9x13 pan and we actually ate it for two dinners!  Bonus!  I would definitely make this again for us and I would continue to use a little less meat and a lot less cooking creme. 

4 cups
medium pasta shells, uncooked
1 lb. extra-lean ground beef (I used 3/4 lb ground turkey)
1 jar (24 oz.) marinara sauce
1 tub (10 oz.) Philadelphia Original Cooking Creme (I used 1/3 of the tub)
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1-1/2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Cook pasta as directed on package, omitting salt.  Meanwhile, brown meat in large skillet; drain.  Stir in marinara sauce; simmer on medium heat 2 min.  Remove from heat.
Drain pasta.  Mix cooking creme, basil and Parmesan in large bowl; stir in pasta.  Spread half the meat sauce onto bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray; cover with layers of pasta mixture and remaining meat sauce.  Sprinkle with mozzarella; cover with foil.  Refrigerate up to 24 hours.    

Heat oven to 375ºF.  Bake casserole, covered, 40 to 45 min. or until heated through, uncovering after 30 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment