Monday, November 14, 2011

#407: French Bread Pizza


I had a lot of leftover ground turkey and wanted several quick recipes to use up the meat.  I came across this recipe in my Taste of Home The Ultimate Ground Beef Cookbook and knew my family would enjoy this meal.  I was right, we ALL enjoyed this meal.  I never thought Chloe would eat this, but she totally finished her dinner.

I think the best part of this was the cheese...do NOT use shredded cheese.  Instead go buy the sliced cheeses (we used provolone since we had it in the house).  It gives it such a cheesy, ooey-gooey, melty goodness.  Brian, "who only eats mozzarella!" (so he thinks), had no idea this wasn't mozzarella and really enjoyed this dinner too!

1/2 pound ground beef
1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
1 jar (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained (I omitted)
20 slices of pepperoni, chopped
1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (I used sliced provolone)
In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in pizza sauce and mushrooms; set aside.

Cut bread in half lengthwise, then into eight pieces. Spread meat sauce on bread; place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10 minutes or until cheese melted and bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.

2 comments:

  1. Brian and Barry both "only" eat alot of things. To this day I can still remember sitting at their house in Chicago while Corey and I tore through a pizza with their mom and they wouldn't touch it cause it had "yellow" cheese on it too. More for us.
    The list of "only"

    Dunkin Donuts,
    McDonald's (no sesame seed side of buns, two bottoms)
    Dominoes or Pizza Hut or the local pizza place down the road (I believe they have branched out since the 80's)
    Just a few off the top of my head I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian intentionally reads this blog so he can find out what I'm sneaking past him! Fortunately his list of "only's" is pretty limited now, and the list above doesn't apply anymore. (Who eats 2 bottom buns!?) Thankfully he's eaten a lot of things I wasn't sure he would, but my favorite thing I've gotten him to eat (and enjoy!) are veggie chicken patties. Can't tell it doesn't have real meat in it...and personally it tastes way better!

    ReplyDelete