Saturday, November 19, 2011

#415: Slow-Cooked Ham


This doesn't even look like a ham does it?!  (Not a good sign)

I rarely make ham for my family and when I do, it's pre-cooked and just needs to be heated in the oven.  When I came across this recipe, I figured it was time to venture out from pre-cooked hams and take a try at it on my own.  Besides, with the holidays coming up, I figured I could probably get a pretty good deal for a ham.  Little did I know, it's very hard to find a non-pre-cooked ham and when you do, who knows what kind to get!?  So I settled on a bone-in (it's all I could find) shank cut and took a chance that this would turn out good.  I put it in the crockpot and let it cook all day and it was obviously ready for us when we got home from church.

Sadly we were so disappointed in this.  In fact, during dinner Brian says, "I rarely say this, but can you NOT make this again?"  Fine with me!  We expected this to be like a regular ham, but the texture was like pot roast?  It was stringy.  Not at all like a ham should be.  Maybe it was my cut of meat, but this recipe is NOT getting made again in our house.  Too bad too, it was so easy!

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground mustard (I used prepared Dijon mustard)
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish (I omitted)
4 tablespoons regular cola, divided (I used Pepsi Max)
1 boneless smoked ham (5 to 6 pounds), cut in half (mine had a bone, so I didn't cut in half)
In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard, horseradish and 2 tablespoons cola; mix well. Rub over ham. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker; pour remaining cola over ham. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 140°.

No comments:

Post a Comment