Wednesday, November 16, 2011

#413: Presto Pizza Patties


I found this recipe in one of my Taste of Home magazines and I thought it might be different enough, yet appealing for my family to try.  Much to my dismay, Chloe took one look at it and proclaimed, "I no like this."  My sweet Allison though said, "Mommy this looks delicious!"  Regardless of their first appearance decisions, Chloe actually out-ate Allison on this dinner and promptly changed her mind about liking dinner. 

This took much longer to cook than the recipe calls for, but I think my burgers were a bit large.  I was afraid it was getting over cooked in the skillet, so we decided to throw it on the grill to let it finish cooking without burning.  These were not what I expected.  The texture actually reminded me of meatloaf.  The center was cooked though, but a much softer texture than a typical "burger."  Our overall consensus was that this was pretty good and we would eat it again, although it isn't going to make on our "I love this!" menu...except maybe for Chloe.


2 egg whites
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
6 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, bread crumbs, green pepper, 1/3 cup pizza sauce, onion and garlic. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six oval patties.

In a large nonstick skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.

Meanwhile, place bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with oil; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted.

Microwave remaining pizza sauce, covered, on high for 10-20 seconds or until heated through. Place patties on toast; top with cheese and sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment