Saturday, November 19, 2011

#417: Lentil-Tomato Soup


Really, this should just be called Lentil Soup.  There is so little tomato in this recipe, you can barely taste it (fine by me as tomatoes don't really agree with baby brother).  I really, really wanted to add some of the ham from the Slow-Cooked Ham recipe posted below, but that recipe was such a bust, I didn't have any to add to it.  SO...I think this would be better if it had a little chopped, cooked ham in it, other than that though, I am quite enjoying it.  I especially enjoyed it with a side of cheese balls I made Brian run out and get for lunch.  :) 

When I take it for lunches this week I'm going to add a little bit of small cooked noodles and some Parmesan cheese on top.  I'd make this again!

Oh, and by the way, there were too many steps in this recipe for my liking, so I threw it all together in the crockpot and cooked it on high for about 6 hours.  So much easier if I say so myself!
4-1/2 cups water
4 medium carrots, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
2/3 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste (I used about 8 oz of tomato sauce)
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dill weed (I omitted)
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon (I omitted)
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a large saucepan, combine the water, carrots, onion and lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment