Wednesday, November 16, 2011

#410: Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes


Did you know you could cut potatoes ahead of time, put them in a bowl of ice water and they will not turn brown!?  Did you know you could do this the night before needing them?!  I did NOT know this and I am SO glad I found this out.  Any crockpot meal is pretty much worth trying in this house because it gets dinner on the table so much faster!  So when I came across this recipe, I knew I really, really wanted to try it, but figured it would have to be a weekend recipe.  But thanks to the powers of Google, I realized I could cut the potatoes, put in a bowl of ice water and stick in the fridge overnight.  When I got up in the morning, I drained the potatoes, added them to the already-made "potato cream mixture" and then threw it all in my crockpot.  I even had to put it on a timer so it would go on about 1 1/2 hours after we left.  You would never know it!  These potatoes were a perfect when I got home from work. 

The only thing I would do next time, is to add cooked bacon to it.  :)  More bacon, I know!  Doesn't the picture above look like it would be better with bacon though (salt and pepper too)???

This recipe also bears the reminder of: CROCKPOT LINERS.  Are you using them yet?  Saves you a TON of time on clean-up, and this recipe is no exception!

1 cup Sour Cream
1 can (10-3/4 oz.) condensed cream of potato soup
1 Tbsp.Worcestershire sauce
2 lb. small red potatoes, very thinly sliced (I left mine a little thicker so they wouldn't over cook)
1-1/2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 tsp. paprika (I omitted)
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives (I omitted)

Mix first 3 ingredients in large bowl. Add potatoes; toss to coat.
Spoon 1/3 into slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray; top with 3/4 cup cheese. Repeat layers; cover with remaining potato mixture. Cover with lid.
Cook on high 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours (or on low 7 to 8 hours). Stir well; sprinkle with paprika and chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment