Monday, November 14, 2011

#406: Memphis-Style BBQ Joes


There were two huge draws for me to make this recipe: 1. Bacon 2. French Fried Onions.  Healthy?  Probably not.  Yummy? Absolutely. 

Brian and the girls weren't nearly as big of fans of this as I was, so I don't know if it will make it onto a menu again too soon, but I certainly enjoyed this. 

1 lb bacon, chopped
2/3 c finely chopped onion

1 lb ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 c BBQ sauce
Hamburger Buns
1/2 c finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 c prepared coleslaw (I omitted)
1/2 c french fried onions

Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until browned and crisp, stirring frequently.  Drain all but 1 tbsp drippings from skillet.  Add onion, cook 3-5 minutes or until union is soft, stirring occasionally. 

Crumble beef into skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Cook 8-10 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink.  Stir in BBQ sauce and cook until heated through.

Divide beef mixture between hamburger buns.  Top with cheese, coleslaw and fried onions.  Makes 6 sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment