Sunday, November 6, 2011

#404: Italian Beef Sandwiches...sort of


I had to make a few adjustments because I decided to throw this into the crockpot at the last minute and didn't have all the ingredients like I intended.  Regardless of the changes, this was really, really yummy!  I not only plan to make this again, hopefully I can use some of the other original ingredients to make it even better.  So yummy!  Another great recipe from Taste of Home!

2 lbs boneless beef rump roast or bottom round roast, halved (I omitted)
2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
1 lb beef sirloin tip roast (I omitted, but next time I plan to add this)
2 tablespoons canola oil (I omitted)
2 cups water (I used 1 1/2 cups)
1 medium onion, chopped (I used minced dried onion)
4 garlic cloves, minced (I used 2 tbsp)
2 envelopes Italian salad dressing mix (I omitted)
1 envelope zesty Italian salad dressing mix (I used 1 package)
1 envelope (0.87 ounce) brown gravy mix (I used 1/2 package)
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes (I used just a few flakes)
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (I used about 1/2 tbsp)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
16 hoagie buns, split
Sliced provolone cheese, optional
Giardiniera, optional
In a large skillet, brown each roast in oil on all sides.  Drain.  Transfer meat to a 7-qt. slow cooker. (I didn't have time for this, so I added my roast still frozen to the crockpot).

Combine the water, onion, garlic, salad dressing and gravy mixes, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and Worcestershire sauce; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.  (I forgot to turn my crockpot to low, so it actually cooked on high for 10 1/2 hours.  The edges were a little dark and dried out but it was still really good..and those dried out pieces were actually my favorites!)

Remove beef; cool slightly. Shred beef with two forks; return to crockpot to reheat in leftover liquids. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup of meat on each bun. Top with cheese and giardiniera if desired.  (I toasted my bun and then added the cheese so it began to melt a bit.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment