Thursday, November 3, 2011

#403: Cornbread Stuffing with Bacon

                Ugh...I accidentally deleted the photo!  Guess I'll have to make this again!

It may not be a typical "book club" snack, but when I saw the recipe for this stuffing, I knew they would be the perfect guinea pigs to try
this recipe on.  Sorry for the huge delay in posting this, we've been super busy lately. 

I REALLY enjoyed this meal!  Cornbread is not my most favorite bread, so I would probably make this again with a different, hearty bread instead.  But I'm definitely making this again, and adding a lot more bacon.  Also, I would cook the bacon in a pan separately from the celery and onion, because the water from the celery made the bacon more soft than I would have liked, and in the time it took the bacon to cook fully, the onion and celery were almost non-existent. 

2 tablespoons butter
4 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped (next time I'm adding more like 1 lb!)
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
8 cups cubed cornbread (1 inch)
1 tablespoon dried sage (I used fresh sage)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup half-and-half
1 egg

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 11x7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon, celery and onion 12 to 15 minutes or until bacon is browned and vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, combine cornbread, sage, salt and pepper in large bowl; gently toss with bacon mixture. Whisk half-and-half and egg in small bowl; pour over cornbread mixture. Stir gently to combine; spoon into baking dish. (Stuffing can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Add 5 to 10 minutes to baking time, if necessary.)  Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned and hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment