Wednesday, November 23, 2011

#420: Glazed Butternut Squash


You have to like cooked (not roasted) butternut squash to like this recipe.  I enjoy my squash roasted so this isn't my favorite way to eat it.  However, since there's nuts in this recipe (I used walnuts), it helps bump up my overall rating for it.  Overall I liked this vegetable side dish...I didn't love it, but I definitely did LIKE it.  I'd make this again. 

3 pounds butternut squash, peeled

1/2 cup apple cider (I used apple juice)1/4 cup water 2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 tsp. dried sage (I omitted)1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds. Cut each half into 4 wedges; cut wedges into 2-inch pieces.

2. Stir together squash, 1/2 cup apple cider, and next 5 ingredients in a 12-inch, deep-sided, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, gently stirring occasionally, 25 minutes. Uncover and cook 5 minutes or until liquid thickens and squash is tender. Gently stir in pecans and sage until well combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment