Thursday, November 24, 2011

#422: Irish Oatmeal Brulee Recipe


Look at that hot, bubbling goodness!

I've been dying to make this oatmeal recipe, but never really had an excuse to make it for myself (really, do I need an excuse though?!).  So for our Thanksgiving morning breakfast, I decided to make Brian and the girls some cinnamon roll pancakes and figured I'd make this for myself since it's a little (okay a lot!) healthier.  (Don't be fooled, I didn't just eat oatmeal.  I also had some cinnamon roll cake and blackberries). 

I really, really enjoyed this.  I have never used steel cut oats before and I really enjoyed the texture.  It has more bite to it than regular instant oatmeal or rolled oats.  I will definitely make this again!

8 cups 2% milk (I used skim)
2 cups steel-cut oats
1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
1 orange peel strip (1 to 3 inches)
Dash salt
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup maple syrup
Buttermilk, optional (I omitted)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar

In a large heavy saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium heat. Add the oats, cinnamon, orange peel and salt. Reduce heat; simmer for 30 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally.

Remove from the heat; discard cinnamon and orange peel. Stir in the cranberries, raisins, syrup and a small amount of buttermilk if desired. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes.

Transfer to eight ungreased 6-oz. ramekins. Place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Broil 8 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment