Saturday, November 14, 2015

#1,661: Kale salad with pumpkin vinaigrette

I had some leftover pumpkin and was trying to think of another recipe to use in it, and then I came across this recipe and was super excited to give it a try!  I didn't think I was going to love this recipe, but I LOVED it.  I will admit though I cut back on some of the calories by thinning this out with water instead of more oil.  It was super thick and definitely needed to be thinned out even more with either water or olive oil.  I probably used about 1/4 c water to this recipe but next time I will use even more.  

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons maple syrup (I used honey)
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
6 cups shredded kale
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (I omitted...although it would be great in this recipe too!)

In a screw-top jar (I used my blender), combine oil, pumpkin puree, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, salt and pepper. Cover and shake well to combine.

Place the kale in a large bowl and drizzle with 3 Tbs. of the dressing. Use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale until fully coated and slightly softened. Add the cranberries, and seeds. Drizzle with an additional 3 Tbs. of the vinaigrette and toss well. Sprinkle with crumbled feta to serve. Reserve remaining dressing in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment