Thursday, November 26, 2015

#1,678: Cornflake-Coated Baked French Toast

I found this recipe in a recent issue of Taste of Home, and French toast is one meal/recipe that Brian enjoys but I often do not.  I think it’s soggy and mushy and it’s not my favorite thing to eat or make.  So when I saw this recipe, I figured I’d give it a try, and I especially liked that it used a larger/thicker cut of bread (Texas toast) but I could get it at the grocery store and not have to run to a bakery like Panera to get a fresh bread (although that would be good too, don’t get me wrong).  

As you can see from the recipe instructions below, this includes a cinnamon syrup, which is LOADED with sugar (as I know most syrups are), but I decided to give this recipe a try while omitting the cinnamon syrup recipe.  My one downfall to this, I totally forgot to add the cinnamon to the French toast batter!  Oops.  That’s okay though…a needed ingredient, but my family devoured these regardless.

Next time I’ll make sure to add cinnamon to the egg mixture!  This was so simple to make, and it’s probably going to be on the menu next week already too.  J

2 large eggs
1/2 cup 2% milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cornflake crumbs
6 slices Texas toast
1/4 cup butter, melted

CINNAMON SYRUP:
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup evaporated milk or 2% milk
1-1/2 teaspoons butter
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat oven to 450°. In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and vanilla until blended. Place cornflake crumbs in another shallow bowl. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture, then in cornflake crumbs, patting to help coating adhere.

Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with melted butter. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

For syrup, in a small saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, water and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in milk, butter and extract. Serve with French toast. Yield: 6 servings (1 cup syrup).

No comments:

Post a Comment