Thursday, November 26, 2015

#1,679: Pumpkin Crumb Coffee Cake

A day off from school = a day to bake something for my family!  :)  THREE years ago I pinned this recipe to one of my pinterest boards, and if you've been following my posts the last few months you've noticed that I'm trying to get older recipes off my boards!  No sense in pinning a recipe to try and then letting a ton of time go by before trying it.  So since I had a few extra minutes this morning before we leave for my aunt's house for Thanksgiving, I figured I'd whip up these pumpkin crumb coffee cakes, and hopefully also take some with me to share with my family. 

I didn't want to make one large cake, so I made this recipe into 2 smaller loaf pans, and then 12 large muffins (I used my square pampered chef muffin tins).  I wasn't so sure my kids would like this, but they devoured them!  I had to cut them off after 2!  These are a tad dense and a bit dry in my opinion, but that obviously didn't stop me from eating a mini one.  :)  Yep, I'd eat these again!

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces

Cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 15-oz. can pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten

Make topping: In a bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add butter and combine with fingertips until mixture is crumbly. Refrigerate while making batter.

Make cake: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour a 9-by-13-inch cake pan. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, applesauce, pumpkin, vanilla and both sugars until well mixed. Whisk in eggs. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and stir until just combined; do not overmix. Pour batter into cake pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with reserved topping.

Bake cake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Allow to cool in pan on a wire rack at least 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment