Saturday, November 14, 2015

#1,662: Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apple and Pancetta

I love this recipe so much I think I've made it at least 5 times now!  I wasn't sure I was going to love the onion and apple in this because I thought it was going to be too soft and mushy, but I was wrong.  The hardest part of this recipe is cleaning/cutting the brussel sprouts.  Once that is done, you can literally throw the rest of it together in about 1 minute. Especially if you can find the pre-cut pancetta in the deli like I did.  Yes it might be a little more expensive, but it makes this much easier to whip together.  I made this one time with regular bacon as well and although it was definitely still good, the pancetta was better.  I also made this with pears one time because I had it on hand, and it was good, but too soft and sweet.  I may have made this again tonight too.... :) 

OH....and I've omitted the dressing each time too (to cut back on the calories) and it is still super delicious! 

12 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved or quartered
2 sweet cooking apples, such as Gala or Fuji, cored and cut into wedges
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
3 ounces finely chopped pancetta or cooked ham
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I omitted)
1 tablespoon honey (I omitted)
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard (I omitted)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil; set aside. In a large bowl combine Brussels sprouts, apples, onion, pancetta, oil, salt, mustard seeds, and pepper. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking pan. Roast, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until sprouts are tender, stirring once.

In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, honey, and Dijon mustard. Drizzle vinegar mixture over sprout mixture; toss gently to coat.


No comments:

Post a Comment