Saturday, October 25, 2014

#1,370 and #1,371: Dr. Pepper Cake with Dr. Pepper Frosting


The picture that I originally found on pinterest was extremely misleading!  It showed a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.  That is NOT what you will get if you make the recipe as directed.  That was fine with me for the cake, but after baking my cake in too small of a pan, it started to cave in.  I knew that I needed to try and find a chocolate frosting to help hide my "hole" in the middle.  But then I ran out of powdered sugar!  (This recipe was doomed from the start apparently).  So I had to add some cream cheese to help try and thicken it up.  It helped a little, but it was still not super thick.  That's ok.  I was making this recipe for bookclub, and I didn't care that it was a little misshapen.  (Sorry girls, but I know you don't care either).  

So below are two recipes I used:  One for the Dr. Pepper Cake and one for the Dr. Pepper Frosting.  To be honest, I need to stop baking altogether because I totally give in to the snacks I'm making and go off my food plan!  Oh well, that's part of life I guess.  BUT that doesn't mean that I need to keep baking/making unhealthy foods for myself/friends/family. 
This was good, and a little dense, but that was probably because I put WAY too much batter in this small pan.  Next time I make this I'm going to try a devil's food chocolate cake mix instead.  

Dr. Pepper Cake:
1 box yellow cake mix
1 box instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
1 10 oz. can of Dr. Pepper
3/4 cups walnuts (chopped)


Turn oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a bundt pan. Mix all ingredients together and pour into bundt pan. Bake for one hour.  Cool completely.

1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. Dr. Pepper
3 tbsp. cocoa
1 (16 oz.) box confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Heat butter, cocoa and Dr. Pepper and blend well. Stir in powdered sugar. Mix thoroughly and ice cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment