Sunday, October 12, 2014

#1,361: Braided Pizza Calzones

I have to admit, I'm surprised how well this one turned out.  I was extremely nervous this would be a major "pinterest fail," but not only does this look awesome, it was SO easy.  I've been making sure to have the girls help me cook in the kitchen more (hence the picture of Allison) because I want them to know how to cook and enjoy cooking when they are older.  I don't always have the time to let them cook during the week when we are so busy, so on nights like tonight when there isn't much going on, I have been encouraging them to help.  They love it.  :)

My family RAVED about this recipe and there wasn't anything left!  The only thing they wanted changed to the recipe next time was to add pepperoni.  Allison does not like pepperoni though, so that's why I left it out.  I might cut the dough in half next time and make 2 shorter/smaller ones, one with pepperoni and one without.  This was pretty much just a picture I found on pinterest so I improvised a little (as you will see by the red comments/notes below).  I will definitely be making this one again!!  

1 tube of refrigerated pizza crust
1/2 jar (or more) of pizza sauce
About 1-2 cups of shredded mozzarella or pizza cheese
Pizza toppings of choice (this time I used a combo of seasoned cooked ground turkey and pork sausage)
1 egg white, whisked
grated Parmesan cheese
garlic powder
Unroll the pizza crust, making sure to keep it pretty much the same size as it comes out of the tube.  You don't want it to be too thin!!  Using a pizza cutter or kitchen shears, cut about 12 strips into each side of the crust, about 2 inches in (see photo below).  Spread a nice layer of pizza sauce down the middle (the uncut part) of the crust.  Top with any desired toppings and shredded cheese.  

Next, alternate folding the strips over one another to create a "braided" look.  (Again, just look at the photo to see what I mean).  Whisk the egg white and brush over the top and sides of the pizza crust.  Top with some garlic powder and parmesan cheese.  
This is a picture of the "braided" calzone before I baked it.  See how simple it is to overlap the strips? 

Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 18-20 minutes.  Watch it carefully so it doesn't get too brown or over done.  Ours was done right at about 20 minutes.  If the parmesan cheese starts to brown too much before the dough is cooked all the way through, you can tent it lightly with some foil so it keeps cooking without browning.  (I didn't need to do this though!)



No comments:

Post a Comment