Thursday, June 25, 2015

#1,519: Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie (gluten and dairy free)


My friend Jaime also requested that I try making this crockpot chicken pot pie recipe for her to see if it is any good.  Although this is not a summer day dish (because it so hot), I do like that I can throw everything together and just let it cook in the crockpot for several hours.  I love not heating up our house any more than I have to!  I am not a fan of chicken thighs, but I got them on sale for less than $3 so I figured I'd give them another chance. 

Although this is a tad sweet from the coconut milk, I have to admit, I really do like this recipe.  Because of the sweetness I might use whole milk next time instead of the coconut milk, but still, it is quite good.  Great choice Jaime!

4 Boneless and Skinless Chicken Thighs
3 ribs Celery (roughly ¾ cup chopped)
½ large White Onion (roughly 1.5 cups chopped)
2 cups chopped Butternut Squash (half of medium squash)
2.5 cups Chicken Broth
1 can Full Fat Unsweetend Coconut Milk
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp white or black pepper
½ tsp dried Thyme
¼ tsp ground Oregano
1 cup Frozen Green Beans (add 30 min prior to serving)

Optional (if non paleo)
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen green peas

Into your 6-quart slow-cooker, place the chicken thighs, chopped celery, onion, and butternut squash.  Add the broth and unsweetened coconut milk. Stir in the salt, pepper, dried thyme, and oregano.

Turn the slow-cooker to high and allow to cook 3-4 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and the butternut squash is tender. Using two forks, shred the chicken into bite sized pieces.

Add the frozen green beans, peas, and corn (if using) and allow to cook for 30 minutes more.

Before serving, and if the coconut milk has separated, briefly whisk the creamy broth to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment