Wednesday, June 3, 2015

#1, 507: Bubble Up Breakfast Bake


Since we have some extra time now that it is summer break, I have more time to cook different meals for my family.  Thank goodness, because I can finally have time to do things I love to do and not have that work thing in the way.  LOL

Anyhow, I decided to make this simple breakfast bake for my kids (for lunch) and hoped they would enjoy it because it was similar to our bubble up pizza bake that we make and they enjoy.  I figured Allison (8) would enjoy it, but the other two (3 and 6) would just pick at it.  They kids all agreed that they did not like the egg part that was on the bottom and asked that I cut it off.  But once I did that they enjoyed it and ate half of a 9x13 pan.

Do I personally think this is the best breakfast casserole I've ever eaten, definitely not.  But would I make this again, yes I would.  I used 3 cans of buttermilk biscuits and as you can see from the photo on the top right, it didn't let the egg mixture really seep in between the pieces.  If you are an egg lover you might want to just use 2 cans.  For my crew, 3 cans was better.  


1 pound of reduced fat breakfast sausage
1 tube of refrigerated biscuits (I used 3 cans with 10 biscuits in each)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 small can of diced green chills
6 eggs (I used 4 eggs)
Salt and pepper to season
1/4 cup milk

Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.  Add the sausage to a medium skillet on medium high heat. Cook until no longer pink in the middle.

While cooking the sausage, cut each biscuit into 8 pieces and place in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Add the sausage to the pan, on top of the uncooked biscuits. Sprinkle cheese on top of that, along with the green chillis.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, salt and pepper and milk. Pour the egg mixture over everything in the baking dish.


Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean in the middle of the dish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment