Tuesday, June 30, 2015

#1,532:Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze


Do you know how long I've been putting off making this recipe?  TWO YEARS ago I pinned this one!  I don't know what I was waiting for, it is delicious.  I made just enough for me to try a piece, give each of the kids one for breakfast tomorrow and then I gave the rest away to my friend/neighbor Kim and my mother-in-law (thanks ladies!).  Perfect reason to bake and try a new recipe but not have it tempting me for days in the house!

The original recipe says to gently fold in the blueberries without smashing them, but I don't know how in the world that's realistically possible.  And I'm lazy.  This is why I don't do well with baking!  I barely measure, I skip steps, I think I can do things faster!  You can tell by how lumpy/unpretty this recipe is by how much care and precision I took with this recipe.  In fact, I wanted to spread it out more so I just took a rolling pin to it.  How's that for "gently fold in"?!?!?!  Regardless this is about taste, not presentation and in my opinion, this recipe is fantastic.  Kim told me she would give her opinion/review of it in exchange for the leftovers (thanks Kim!!) and she said that scones are normally dry but not this one!  I could't agree more. The lemon glaze gets sucked into it as well and is almost unnoticeable.  Does that mean I should have added more?!  LOL  Definitely a yummy recipe!!

2 cups of flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
5 tbsp unsalted butter, cold, cut into chunks
1 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing on top of scones
1 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Sift together the dry ingredients into a bowl. Using 2 forks, cut in the butter to coat the pieces with the flour. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and pour in the heavy cream. Fold everything together until just mixed; do not over work the dough. Fold the blueberries into the dough, taking care not to mash the berries.

Press the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a rectangle (this was an impossible step to do with the blueberries in added in.  I had to just spread/pat it out best I could with my hands...then rolled it a little more with a rolling pin to help spread it.  Whatever!).

Cut the rectangle in half then cut the pieces into half again, giving you 4 squares. Cut the squares in half on a diagonal to give you a triangle shape. Place the scones on a baking sheet lined with a silpat mat then brush the top with a bit of heavy cream. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown (in my stove I had to decrease the temperature to 360 after 20 minutes and let it continue cooking for about 12 minutes because I could tell it was not yet cooked all the way through but the top was browning). Let the scones cool a bit before you apply the lemon glaze.

Lemon Glaze:
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 lemon, zest finely grated
1 tbsp unsalted butter

Place all the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Place in the microwave and cook for 30 seconds. Whisk the glaze to smooth out any lumps then drizzle on top of each scone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment