Tuesday, June 23, 2015

#1,515: Homemade Cheese Crackers (4 ingredients!)


I've been dying to make these homemade cheese crackers (like Cheez-Its) for a long time but thought it would be a lot more time consuming than I wanted it to be, so I kept putting it off.  But today I finally decided it was time to make these crackers and try them out on my kids.  I have to admit, I was totally surprised how much my kids liked these!  They loved them, and they were super, super easy to make too.  I love that this really is only 3 ingredients and uses real food; no processed stuff in here!  I will definitely be making these again.  Brian and the girls thought they taste like the Red Lobster cheddar biscuits (and they do!).  

1 cup all purpose gluten free flour (I did not use gluten free, I just use AP flour)
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
4 Tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces 
2 Tbsp cold water
Sea salt for sprinkling on top


Preheat oven to 350°F.  In a food processor, combine flour, cheese and butter, pulse until its a crumbly texture, but well combined.  Add water and process until a dough forms. Divide dough into two balls and chill for 15 minutes in the fridge.

Roll one ball out on a Silpat mat until about 1/4″ thick (I used parchment paper and it worked fine!).  Using a pizza cutter, cut dough into squares and trim off uneven edges.  Sprinkle with salt, lightly.  
If desired, poke little holes in the top with a toothpick or fork to make them look even more like Cheez­-it crackers.  
Bake on the silpat mat or on parchment paper for 10-15 minutes or until they are bubbly and browning on the edges slightly (mine never bubbled, and I baked closer to 20 min but I think mine are way too thick).  

Take out of oven and recut the crackers with a pizza cutter if needed (I didn't need to!).  
Store them in a container in the fridge and they last up to one week. This recipe makes about 80­-100 small crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment