Tuesday, June 30, 2015

#1,533: Corn and Edamame Salad


Ooh do I love the two main ingredients in this recipe: corn and edamame!  Mmmmmm!  Love those two and could probably put them in most anything.  So I was very interested when I came across this recipe.  Although I enjoyed it, I also felt it was too bland and needed more seasoning.  I also thought this was better as an addition to something, rather than just a "side dish."  I actually threw this on top of my lettuce/salad and ate it that way.  If you look closely you can see the lettuce leaves I was trying to hide in this photo, peeking through.  :)   If I'm not mistaken, this originally came from Parent's Magazine, so it would make sense that it was more kid-friendly tastes.  However, none of my kids enjoyed this at all and they like both corn and edamame.  For me personally I added some basil and rosemary, and next time will add some red onion as well.  It also could use a little heat, so I'll probably dice up a jalapeno too.  And salt!  This definitely needed both salt and pepper (which I added).  It's a great starting point, and you can add other veggies or seasonings that you personally prefer.  Or maybe you'll like it as is....to each his own! 

3 ears corn
2 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
1 1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame, cooked and drained
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
1/2 red pepper, diced
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste

Husk corn and brush with 1 teaspoon oil. Grill on medium heat about 15 minutes, or until tender, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Remove and let cool.

Cut kernels from the corncobs into a large bowl. Add edamame, chopped tomato and sweet pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir dressing into corn mixture.

Serve at room temperature or cover and chill for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment