Sunday, June 21, 2015

#1,513: Charred Corn and Tomato Salsa

Here is another recipe that has been sitting on my Pinterest board for three years!  I made this for my friends at book club, and was excited to finally make it since corn is now back in season and I have a ton of cilantro growing in my garden.  It looks good doesn't it?  I seriously could eat this just with a spoon as a salad.  A little diced avocado would be excellent in it too.  :)

Although I really, really liked this salsa, I thought it was missing something, so I added some lime juice and a little olive oil.  I also misread the instructions and only charred the corn!  Ugh, how did I miss that I was supposed to do that with the other ingredients too?!?!  I debated about throwing it all on a pan and broiling it afterwards, but I really did enjoy this so I'm okay with it this way.  Plus it was way easier to throw together.  



3 medium tomatoes
1 ear corn, shucked (I used 2 ears)
1/2 white onion, cut into wedges (I used red onion)
1 jalapeño pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (I used more like 1/4 cup or more!)
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar (I used about 3 tbsp)

I also added a drizzle of olive oil 
kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
tortilla chips, for serving

(I threw my corn on the grill since we were grilling steaks...) Heat broiler to high. Place the tomatoes, corn, onion, and jalapeño on a rimmed baking sheet and broil, turning occasionally, until charred, 8 to 10 minutes; let cool.

Cut the corn kernels off the cob and transfer to a medium bowl. Roughly chop the tomatoes, jalapeño, and onion and add to the bowl along with the cilantro, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Mix to combine and serve with the tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment