Monday, June 25, 2012

#588: Butternut Squash Muffins





I think I've had this recipe pinned on my Pinterest board since last fall.  I keep intending to make it and then I don't.  Well not anymore, because I whipped this together tonight after the kids went to bed.  It was ridiculously easy to make and I especially liked that I didn't have to take the skin off the butternut squash (I HATE doing that job!)


These made my kitchen smell wonderfully as it baked.  It smelled a little out of season as you could smell the cinnamon, but that's okay with me. 

This recipe calls for you to add raisins to the batter, but I decided to finely chop a square of semi-sweet chocolate instead.  I knew if I put raisins in this the girls would pick them out (even though they like raisins). 

These are YUMMY.  So, so yummy.  We are into freezing muffins right now because just about every other morning Chloe requests a muffin for breakfast.  These are going to be a perfect addition to our current mini muffin freezer stash. 

PS: 1 butternut squash would be enough to double this recipe...unless you get a tiny squash. 


By the way... the girls LOVED these.  They each probably ate 4 mini muffins for breakfast and said they were "delicious."  Score 1 more for mommy and veggies!
7 oz seeded and roughly chopped butternut squash, skin on
1 cup light-brown sugar
2 eggs
1/8 tsp salt
1-1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
6 Tbsp oil (I used 3 tbsp applesauce and 3 tbsp vegetable oil)
1/4 c raisins (I used 1 square of semi-sweet chocolate)

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a food processor, finely chop butternut squash, leaving the skin on. Add the light-brown sugar and eggs. Whiz again to combine.



Add salt, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and oil. Whiz just until combined.

Line a muffin pan with 12 paper cupcake liners. Evenly distribute the mixture into the muffin cups and sprinkle a few raisins over the top of each muffin. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until a wooden skewer or knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean (if it's slightly sticky, they'll need a bit longer—bake 5 more minutes, or until cooked through and golden on top). Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool.

1 comment: