Wednesday, June 20, 2012

#581: Eggplant Parmesan Hero


I love, love eggplant Parmesan, so I was super excited to try this recipe.  I really wanted to fry the eggplant because it tastes the best that way, but since this was a weight watchers recipe, I figured I probably should bake it like the recipe call for.  I got this recipe from my Weight Watchers Take Out Tonight Cookbook. 

I thought this was fantastic.  We enjoyed it so much, we will be eating it again tomorrow.  And I am super, super excited to report that the girls not only ate this, they asked for seconds.  Yummy!  (PS...no of course Brian did not eat this, he had a chicken meatball sub instead)

1 pound eggplant -- unpeeled, cut into 1/4"-thick slices
1 large egg
1 tablespoon nonfat milk
1/2 cup bread crumbs, seasoned -- dried
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese -- grated
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, part skim milk -- shredded
1 cup marinara sauce
4 Italian hard rolls -- split (I used a fresh French Baguette cut into small pieces)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray; set aside.

Lightly beat the egg and milk in a shallow bowl. Mix the bread crumbs and Parmesan on a sheet of wax paper. Dip the eggplant in the egg mixture, then in the bread crumbs, and arrange in one layer on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the eggplant with nonstick spray. Bake until the eggplant is softened and lightly browned, about 25 minutes.

Divide the eggplant slices into 4 equal portions on the baking sheet. Overlap each group of slices so they are no larger than the dimensions of each roll. Top each portions with 1 tablespoon of the mozzarella. Bake until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.

Transfer each eggplant portion to the bottom of each roll, top each with 1/4 cup of the sauce. Replace top of roll and serve at once.


No comments:

Post a Comment